Creating the National Broadband Network Website
Digital Design & Development Proposal for the ALP
Prepared by Code Nation
Who we are
Code Nation brings together years of experience working on campaigns in electoral politics, with NGOs, not-for profits and with sustainable businesses. We’re a young, creative agency with staff in Australia and Colombia and clients from across the world.
Our experience and speciality is combining communication strategy with the latest in digital tools. A great campaign is a compelling story, well told - we help you clarify your purpose and provide the technology you need to motivate your community to action.
Why we do what we do
At Code Nation we know it’s communities that change the world we live in and make it a better place. We want to help progressive advocates of every type, from across the globe, be stronger. We want people to share more, learn more and create more in collectively building a sustainable future.
Our team is dedicated to equipping activist communities with the digital strategies and tools they need to reach their goals.
Making our small contribution to the big change you're bringing about is what gets us up in the mornings and keeps us working late at night.
Code Nation is a five-star rated NationBuilder creative agency and the number one ranked agency on the platform. To this outstanding design and technical background we bring the strategic capacity to understand your campaign in context - so we can create the tools you need to pull it all together.
Our team has worked extensively with a wide range of non-profits and campaign organisations, which will serve as an anchor of understanding in meeting your unique needs and objectives.
Our past experience includes work in political campaigns for the the Australian Greens, the Colombian Greens, Sydney's independent Lord Mayor Clover Moore and various emerging parties and independents. Our work in the non-government sector has included support for GetUp, the Sydney Alliance, and other NGOs such as 350.org, WWF, AYCC and Friends of the Earth, as well as unions, community organisations and various social movements across the world, with a particular focus on climate change.
Examples of our work include:
The purpose of this project is to provide a powerful online portal for constituents to express their frustration and dissatisfaction with the Coalition's mismanagement of the National Broadband Network.
Code Nation will tailor the design and development of this digital platform to:
- Convey the campaign's central messages in a compelling and modern way
- Present policy details and updates to inform citizens and engage the public in issues associated with the NBN
- Attract new supporters and advocates
- Direct website traffic towards taking action
- Provide comprehensive support for all NationBuilder page types
- Deliver a user-friendly process for content updates and enable your team to easily create, edit and customise pages through the NationBuilder CMS
- Showcase the power of the campaign through social proof
- Lower barriers to action through ease of navigation and use
- Create a responsive design with support across desktop, tablet and mobile
World Class Design
World Class Design
Our sites are built for a first-class user experience and crafted to support your campaign's ladder of engagement with targeted calls to action and user-specific content.
Our iterative design process allows for full collaboration with the ALP team to produce a clear and coherent user flow throughout the site. We will structure each call to action as part of your broader user journey, designed to maximise conversions.
2. Website Mockups & Site Design
We will create an issue-specific design for the National Broadband Network campaign within the parameters of existing ALP branding materials. This revitalised design and creative content will support the site's efforts to reach a broader audience and deliver an industry-leading user experience with a highly professional feel.
Our site design will employ powerful issue-related imagery and prominent calls to action crafted to engage supporters. The focus will be on conveying information in a clear and compelling manner, as well as providing the materials and means to get involved.
In the Timeline provided below we have outlined stages for review throughout the process. Our unique design process includes all necessary iterations in order to ensure that the website style meets with your full approval and best serves the ALP's specific needs.
Our work combines the highest standards of modern web development with the latest in campaign strategy. You new custom site will be built for action, while utilising dynamic content for simple backend management. Your custom website theme will include:
- A powerful digital toolset to communicate with your supporters and track their engagement across your website, social media and email updates
- Use of social proof and case studies to motivate your community to take action.
- A digital ladder of engagement that encourages supporters to gradually strengthen their connection with issues related to the NBN.
- Full support for all NationBuilder action page types
- Easy content management and moderation of all content sections across the site
- Your team will be able to create new pages of any type as needed (including action pages or content pages)
- Admin-only edit links for control panel users to navigate to the relevant backend section to make changes to the page they are viewing.
1. Custom Homepage
A custom layout with powerful imagery and prominent calls to action. The homepage will support fully-integrated streams of latest content and most recent supporter actions. It can include a variety of combinations of the following sections, all with content that can be easily managed through the backend:
- Header slider with photos and clear calls to action displayed on transition
- Prominent join forms with a latest action stream
- A featured petition to promote increased engagement directly from the homepage
- Panels presenting the key facts on the issue
- A powerful Case Studies section (categorised by tags) displaying an excerpt of the most recent pages and "Take Action" buttons for new supporters to get involved
- A most recent blog / stories feed with links to full content
- An about section including featured videos (if relevant / desired)
- A contact form for supporters to get in touch
- A feed of the latest social media posts from relevant accounts
- A share section with social media links
2. Personalised Sign-up Process
The custom sign-up process will allow targeted email blasts to reach members and keep them informed of the ALP's ongoing work and to get them involved in campaigns, issues and events. We will build a subscription process to capture relevant data from your supporters for easy use through NationBuilder's native bulk email toolset. This optimised signup / subscription process will include:
- A signup form prominent on your new homepage and other content pages, in addition to a dedicated signup / subscription page
- Custom landing page and thank you notifications
- Use of social proof to encourage signup (optional)
- Prompts for social share or other actions in line with the ALP's goals
- Full support for custom data collection and fields
- Increased depth of social media integration through optimised sharing / promotion
3. Main Content Pages
These core pages of content will present text, images, graphics and (optionally) video. We can configure extra site-wide content sections such as featured petitions and custom share bars to also appear on these content pages.
These core content pages can be used to host sections of information featuring details of the Government’s NBN plan, the rollout and other related issues. The ALP team will have full control in order to be able to create new pages as required.
4. Detailed Case Study Submission Action
We will leverage the NationBuilder API to create a custom form that allows users to upload their own case studies to the site. This action will capture user data and case study content in a single form in order to minimise barriers to submission and maximise the overall conversion rates. Additionally, this case study submission action will:
- Support an admin approval process that ensures no content is visible on the site until duly reviewed and published.
- Provide a custom file upload tool for users to submit images or other content to accompany their case studies.
- Allow users and admins to organise and categorise case studies according to the topic they address (e.g. speeds, cost, etc.)
- Include a tool that enables visitors to filter the case studies according to their different categories and easily locate the most relevant content.
- Enable admins to select highlighted case studies to be featured more prominently across the site.
5. Image & Resource Library
In this section website visitors will have access to the latest resources relevant to the NBN, including PDFs, images and other multimedia with all content editable from the backend.
We can add a tool to filter your resources into separate sections by resource type or by category / tag in order for users to be able to find relevant content more quickly.
6. Petition Pages
Using NationBuilder Petitions we are able to create:
- A featured petition tool that can be activated to promote action on your focal campaign across the site.
- Dynamic petition forms that adapt to provide an alternative call to action for existing signatories.
- Custom landing pages to provide implicit reinforcement of the ALP's messaging and encourage sharing through social media.
- An honour-reel stream of latest signatures.
7. Latest News/ Blog
- A stream of the most recent articles and posts
- Displaying teaser images and content excerpts
- Including button links to full content
- Dynamic image, text and video content that supports easy backend management
- Post excerpts include thumbnails, content snippets and button links to the full articles and content
- Social media share buttons will be automatically generated for each post / article
8. Contact Us
- Contact forms including full name, email address, enquiry / message, and other fields at your discretion.
- A custom landing page with a personalised thank you message and success notification.
- Allow supporters to get in touch directly with members of the ALP team.
- Filter new contacts to link them with the most relevant person according to the topic of the message selected by the individual.
9. Search Tool
Our design will support internal search functionality on every page with the ability to search by keyword through all website pages and articles posted by the ALP about the NBN. This will allow ease of navigation for visitors whilst on the website and improve their engagement with the ALP's content related to the NBN.
10. Final Points
- We will enable analytics and tracking for your new site through the use of Facebook pixels and google analytics.
- The Code Nation team is spread across the globe, with half our team in Australian timezones and the other half in US timezones. This allows us to make rapid progress on projects, particularly through the design phase where we can receive feedback during the Australian business day and prepare updated versions of website mockups during the Australian evening.
- Our handover process includes two hours of Q and A sessions conducted in person in Melbourne or over Skype. These can include up to 10 members of the ALP team and can cover any topics related to best practices using the NationBuilder CRM to manage content for the new site.
The following timeframes are indicative - comment periods will be iterative but this serves to give a sense of the time required to deliver the project.
Friday 10 Feb - Approval of project
Monday 13 Feb - Creation of website mockups commences
Friday 17 Feb - First version of website design submitted for feedback
Monday 20 Feb - Revisions on initial website design submitted throughout this week. If desired, we can complete a further process of feedback and revisions. Generally each extra round adds another week to the timeline, but is included in the existing budget.
Monday 27 Feb - Website design approved, and website development begins
Monday 20 March - First round of testing and revisions begins
Monday 27 March - Final site revisions and updates
Friday 31 March - Website launched
Costs exclude website hosting and domain fees; NationBuilder monthly pricing; image licensing fees; and ongoing technical support.
Payment will be made in two instalments, 50% upon commencement and 50% upon final project delivery.
Work outside or beyond the scope of this proposal will be charged at our standard hourly rate. The client will be advised and asked to approve any such additional hours.
p: (+61) 02 6100 4426
m: (+61) 481 789 364